Monday, February 2, 2009

The Quest to Read Quests (FAILED)

I really want to be the guy who reads all the quest text. Who savors the writing, immerses himself into the story, the atmosphere. So I consciously set out to read all the text of my quests.

Yeah that didn't last very long.

On one hand, I don't want to dump the blame onto Mythic, when I seldom read a single WoW quest all the way through, but, on the other hand, I'm gonna blame Mythic.

Actually my complaint such as it is, is that at least early on, the color text, the voice of the quest giver, is problematic in two ways:

1. Tends to be a bit uniform. This isn't to say the writing isn't good or that there's no voice. Honestly, I'm not sure how much character diversity you're going to have in a chaos war camp. It seems to break down to:

A. Zealous adoration of Chaos
B. Psychotic/Zealous adoration of Chaos

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

2. The color text early on didn't tell me anything. It'd be like:

"The lord of change wreaks destruction untold upon this world, tearing at its fabric, unraveling its mundane order and law and unfurling in its place the beautiful terror of change unending ..."

and then the helpful instructional part would read:

"Go to the nearby empire camp and take two loaves of bread."

...

By chapter three or so, I'd figured out the basic chaos quest-giver concepts: sorcerer types, warlord types, and marauders and I think they do have reasonably distinct goals and personas, and that the did from the start probably. But early on, It just didn't come across for me.

But maybe that's just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment