Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Ceci n'est pas une Zerg


Okay, so maybe I'm picking nits here, but I see in oRvR all the time some really daft, whiny kinds of things. Like last night in t3, the leader of the warband I was in said something to the effect of "friggin' order, all they ever do is defend!"

...

O-kay.

But the most common, is the zerg complaint. "Just another zerg," people say. "They're just going to zerg it, so why bother." This is an interesting meme. As far as I can tell what people really mean when they say zerg is "charge at us aggressively with superior numbers."

I mean really. Literally, if they were "zerging" I would imagine there would be a motley swarm of order all in a big pile, all clawing or slashing or whatever away at the first thing in sight. But really, that's not what's happening.

Certainly, when you have excessive numbers ... more than you need ... you might play a bit looser with your tactics, but the point is the numbers are the defining factor.

Which I guess is why people call it a zerg. But, the thing about zerg as a verb is that it has a negative connotation. It's dismissive. "Way to zerg, order."

Really, the complaint is number imbalance. Which is a real issue. Part and parcel of oRvR I suspect, but a real issue.

But seriously, we don't need to act like the other team is being cheap or is somehow lame because they outnumber us. That's just sour grapes. And no one likes sour grapes.

Except the zerg.

No comments:

Post a Comment